Friday, March 8, 2013

International Women's Day ~

International Women's Day ~

Today is International Women's Day and until one of the special women in my life sent a kind note to me, I had not thought of it.

The following, a quote from a notable lady, Maria Shriver,* for special women everywhere:

"A deep change for me was realizing I'd have to take the time to know what I feel, in order to know who I am and who I want to be. . .
"The change doesn't have to be huge, but it may have to be deep.

"You may believe you're not allowed to think of yourself as separate from your job, your family, and all the other legacies you inhabit.

"But what I've come to understand is that we are first and foremost human beings in our own right.  We're entitled to our own lives, our own dreams and goals, our own legacies.
"I've finally learned after all these years that I don't need to define myself with a certain job or a certain name or a certain role in order to tell myself who I am.  I've learned that all my roles are simply a part of me ` but they're not all of me.
"Now that I'm not so obsessed about whether I measure up to other people's expectations, I've found a new gentleness and kindness in myself, for myself and for others.
"What matters most to me now is what I expect of myself.  What matters most to me now is that I know myself ~ what my heart feels, what my inner voice is telling me."

~ Just Who Will You Be?  *Maria Shriver, Hyperion, 2008.  Journalist, author, former First Lady of California.

Although I had to be reminded that today is International Women's Day, I believe I am truly living it.  A lady who grew up in my absence to be more beautiful than I could have ever imagined, recently answered my email.  We met for tea today and I am delighted to have met her again ~ memories flood over me.  I never want to lose track of friends again!  A big thank you to all the special women in my life ~ may you live your own dreams, your own goals and realize your own legacy.  lbw

No comments:

Post a Comment